Post on .
Marcus Mariota is an NFL quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles. He was chosen as the second overall pick by the Tennessee Titans in the 2015 NFL Draft and played with them until 2019. Mariota then moved to the Las Vegas Raiders in 2020 for one season before joining the Atlanta Falcons in 2022. After playing with the Falcons for one year, Mariota signed a one-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles in March 2023.
Mariota's Career Highlights
- Mariota played college football at the University of Oregon, where he was the starting quarterback from 2012 to 2014.
- As a junior in 2014, Mariota won the Heisman Trophy, becoming the first University of Oregon player and the first Hawaii-born athlete to win the award.
- Mariota was ranked 50th by his peers on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2017 and was named a Pro Bowl first alternate.
- In 2022, Mariota signed a two-year contract worth $18.75 million with the Atlanta Falcons.
Mariota's Contract Details
- Mariota signed a one-year, $5 million contract with the Philadelphia Eagles in March 2023.
- The contract includes four void years for salary cap purposes.
- Mariota's net worth is estimated to be around $20 million, with an annual salary of $1 million.
Mariota's Recent News
- Mariota was benched in favor of Ridder for the Falcons Week 15 game against the New Orleans Saints in December 2022.
- Mariota was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury on December 14, 2022.
- The Falcons released Mariota on February 28, 2023.
- Mariota signed a one-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles on March 20, 2023.
Mariota's Future with the Eagles
- Mariota joined the Eagles to hold a clear backup role behind Jalen Hurts.
- Mariota is excited to "help" Jalen Hurts and wants to "have fun" as the Eagles' backup QB.
Eagles' Marcus Mariota among names who could be released in 2023 NFL roster cuts.
The Philadelphia Eagles may release their backup quarterback, Marcus Mariota, during the 2023 NFL roster cuts. Mariota joined the team during the offseason to support Jalen Hurts, but his inconsistent performance during the summer and the impressive passing of sixth-round rookie Tanner McKee have put his position in jeopardy. The Eagles provided Mariota with $5 million in guaranteed funds and would like an experienced quarterback for backup, but they have accepted pricey errors in the past at QB2 position.
Mariota's NFL journey has been a mixed bag, beginning with the Tennessee Titans, where he played between 2015 and 2019 before moving on to the Las Vegas Raiders in 2020 and the Atlanta Falcons in 2022. Throughout his career, Mariota has thrown for 15,656 yards, 92 touchdowns, and 54 interceptions.
The Kansas City Chiefs, in addition to the Eagles, must make difficult decisions during the roster cuts. Running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire is among the potential players who may be released. The deadline for roster cuts is expected to occur by August 30th.